Sunday, February 24, 2008

Five Months and Six Days


This is how long it took me to feel some serious homesickness. It passed pretty quickly, but the intensity was undeniable. I was struck by the specificity of my longing. While my beloved canine pal, Plum (pictured at left), is always first and foremost in my mind, I am comforted by the fact he is being well cared for by Captain Leche. However, aside from missing him and my human pals, obviously, I miss my gorgeous Harman Kardon 430 stereo receiver. I never knew that such a large part of my general life enjoyment came from messing about with that archaic radio with more colored lights than a landing strip and a tuning knob bigger than the steering wheel of my old Datsun 710. I get antsy thinking about my poor unused stereo collecting dust in an attic, right next to my box of cds...cds that I would now give my eyeteeth to have an hour with, but then again, what good would it do? I'd have to listen to them on my laptop with its anemic speakers and tinny output.

But there are other things too. A decent cup of drip coffee would be nice, maybe a full day to lounge about in a chair that doesn't have wheels or plastic arms as part of its assembled form.

Maybe this was all brought on by my housesitting gig last weekend. It was a reminder that I used to have space and privacy and sideboards and pretty dishes. While my current housing is only temporary and the future will again see me installed in a rented apartment that I shall render sumptuous with my tea cups and bric-a-brac, the current state of affairs finds me a little impatient, a little whiny to get on with it.

Or maybe I just don't want to do my thesis work.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Ahh the Datsun... your first car, yes? What did you call it? For some reason Dexter comes to mind...

Jenna said...

Dexter it was...forest green with a beige interior...the ultimate in sophistication for the first time car owner.

Anonymous said...

A B210, not a 710, but I thought you would enjoy.