Saturday, March 22, 2008

Captain Leche Has Left the Building


To offer up some sort of relief from my medical woes (update to follow in forthcoming blog), dear friend and hound sitter, Captain Leche, came for a visit to see both yours truly and this verdant land otherwise known as Ireland. And, oh, the times we had. Highlights included:

-A bus ride to Galway where, along the way, the livestock seemed 'sleepy'. I have to tell myself that the multiple cattle, horses, and dogs we saw lying down, so very very still, were just getting a little shut-eye. Oh please please please let that be the case.

-A storm so severe in Galway that a construction crane threatened to crash straight into our hotel room. We were lucky to escape with our lives!

-Mixing and mingling of old friend with new friends...the result? Success, I say, success! Cultures coming together, exchanging ideas, not invading the other's country...see, it can be done.

-A St. Patrick's Day complete with parade, multiple pints of Guinness, throngs of drunken revelers and a child's backside in my face (see photo). Sadly, the river stayed river-colored...not green.

-So much good food AND good service I could hardly believe it was Dublin (I'll catch hell from the natives for saying that...but I stand by it.)

-A heartfelt farewell that left me quite teary-eyed for the remainder of the day. Thanks for the visit! Tell Plum he's sorely missed and that a liver-flavored shamrock is on the way via airmail!

1 comment:

brad! said...

Wow, that sounds like a lot of fun! When he was there, did you go to any cool pubs that are older than his country? Did he get to meet any cute local girls? What about The Quiet Man? Did he get to see the replica of the house used in the movie? Did you see any small horses, or bogs, stone walls, abbeys, stoats or jackdaws?

I bet he is really depressed that he has to return to work.

I think I smell gas.