Sunday, September 7, 2008

Cue the Applause

Ladies and Gentlemen, I am happy to announce I am the proud parent of a newly born thesis. Arriving only two weeks and two days past its due date and swaddled in black with gold text on the cover, it has its author's questionable grammar and skewed logic in spades. Immediately upon delivery the thesis was whisked off to the UCD campus to be deposited into the hands of an eager adviser. He offers a warm desk on which the thesis will be closely scrutinized and then a permanent home in the vaults of the film studies offices for ever after. I do not mourn the loss of my thesis as my maternal instinct is primarily reserved for dogs and homeless teacups.

Some have warned me that post-thesis depression will set in, but I have not found that to be the case. If anything, I am experiencing post-thesis liberation where all the sleep to be had is mine and I can finally stop compulsively cramming entire bags of potato chips into my mouth at one go. The thesis weight is no joke and now that the neurotic eating has come to an end, I intend to seek out a gym in order to take off the ten pounds I've gained over the last month.

However, between all the sleeping and sighing with relief, I have had time to ponder where I currently stand. Let's review: 36 years old, recently acquired M.A. in film studies, no job as of Nov. 7, hardly any savings, no 'home' to return to upon going back to the States and my pants don't fit.

Maybe I am depressed.

6 comments:

ABD said...

From one who is currently staring at her computer (and an open bag of chocolate chips), wondering what on earth her dissertation is about . . . and why on earth she's writing it, here's a hearty round o' applause and cheer. Congrats! And, many thanks for the reminder that it can be done.

brad! said...

[censored]-YEAH, Mother-[censored]! You are a rock star.

Now, find a job or gtfo!

Jenna said...

ABD - Strength to you. I won't lie, the task at hand is not an easy one. I promise you, if I can do it, anyone can.

Brad, thanks and what is gtfo?

Annie said...

"Get the fuck out", I think.

And congrats! xx

Elrond Hubbard said...

I'm applauding out loud. Good show. As far as returning to the U.S. goes, if I were you, I'd wait and see who wins this election. Definitely file an absentee ballot though. And if, still, the wrong people are elected, let us relatively rational folks know where we might flock to. Maybe Sweden will take us in. Or, the Iraqi people taken in by Sweden may take us in. That would be fair, right, since we liberated them to live in Sweden in the first place?

Anonymous said...

Good job, Jenna!