This probably would have been more effective had I written a blog exactly on the one year anniversary of my arrival in Ireland (September 18 to be precise), but I was too busy seeing crappy movies to be bothered. However, now that the double bill featuring Stepbrothers and Pineapple Express is out of the way, I can jot down a few thoughts on my past 12 months and then some.
So, after reviewing some of the early blogs, I see they were mostly taken up with immigration status, money and lack of food. How little things have changed. Nearly a year to the day, I found myself back in that festering cesspool of humanity otherwise known as the Irish Naturalization and Immigration Offices. It was especially hectic on this particular day. Remembering the trials of the last go around, I pulled out my worst natural instincts and bulldozed straight to the front of the line, acted like I owned the joint and insisted someone attend to my needs immediately. Attempting this strategy back in the States is likely to get one a) ejected from the premises, b) arrested, or c) lynched by an angry mob. In this case, it worked. No one was very happy about helping me, but they did.
Twenty minutes later I left with a new visa stamp on my passport allowing me an extended stay until November 30 of this year and, as a bonus, dozens of angry stares drilling into the back of my head. When I return yet again at the end of November to apply for yet another work visa, I may not be remembered so fondly. Perhaps burn-out among employees is high and the turn over of staff will see me able to bend a whole new cadre of civil service workers to my will. Maybe. Or maybe they'll just deport me for being that pushy American.
But aside from the bureaucracy of paperwork that keeps countless immigrants reaching for their pens and their prayer books, my assessment of the last year is a positive one. Let us review:
-Masters degree obtained (having not yet heard any shrieks of horror concerning my thesis, I'm going to assume it's a go).
-Employment secured.
-Playing the role of gf to much-adored bf.
-Pending 10 day vacation to south of France with afore mentioned bf.
So, it's not been too bad, this jump across the ocean. Of course there are downsides:
-Plum, the wildly-doted upon dog, is no longer sleeping at the foot of my bed.
-My stateside friends didn't come over with me...sorely missed.
-I never thought I'd say it, but god I miss invasive salespeople and waitstaff.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment