Aside from the stresses of visas and crappy jobs and mediating a truce between my thighs and their desire to expand their empire and my pants wanting to hold fast to their current territories, there is something even bigger looming. There is something on the horizon which threatens to unhinge my more or less peaceful existence with fall out so severe that I may know fretful and worried sleep for months to come.
My mother had the misfortune to be born on May 14, a date which is often within one week of Mother's Day. Sometimes, should the stars align just so, they are one and the same date. Of course, my maternal grandmother had no idea the grief this would someday bring my mother. Perhaps if she did, she would have adjusted her mating pattern accordingly. But sadly, this is not what happened.
The reason this is such a grief-filled time for my mother is largely owing to my own actions, or inactions as it were. The expectation placed on only children to step up their game come both Mother's Day and the mater's birthday are great. Put the two events within a week of each other, and oh brother, it sometimes seems that all the brunches at your local Shoney's are not enough.
Of course, I over exaggerate. My mother would generally be happy with a bouquet and a card to commemorate the days...but that's where my epic failing occurs. More times than I care to recall, I have neglected to do anything to say 'thank you for being my mother' or 'here's a little something to show how much you mean to me' or even 'I got you a lottery ticket'. So, when May rolls around I get nervous, then I get panic-stricken, and then I generally freeze up and do nothing at all. Hence my mother's woe.
This year, I beat it. What started out as a selfish bid for deeply discounted organic beauty supplies turned into a goldmine of 'items to pamper mom'. Because my mother has taken the courageous and right-minded step of going back to college as a full-student to get some computer skills (please god, please let her never google her daughter and find this blog), she is a bit cash-strapped. Her glory days of practically bathing in high-end cosmetics, creams and lotions are behind her, at least for the present. And so, after many years of trying and failing to show my mother I love her (even though I live a country and an ocean away and have no plans of residing in my home state of Oregon in the foreseeable future, nothing personal, mom, I swear) I may have finally undone some of the wrongs I have committed over the years.
The two box package arrived two days after Mother's Day and two days before her birthday. She was delighted and her skin aptly hydrated.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I fully appreciate this post. Good job.
(now, go get a good job)
I just wanted to say, I really like the way you write. You're style is so candid, so artless, I feel like I'm listening to you chat over cups of tea.
Post a Comment