The Coffee Gods are laughing at me, having a high old time at my expense. My previous post concerning the sub-par coffee of UCD specifically and Ireland generally is now coming back to haunt me. In the last week I've been to two separate cafes in the city and ordered tea to take away. Upon leaving with my hot, lidded beverage, I have been shocked to find that I was mistakenly given not just coffee, but a frothy, milky espresso drink...the kind I wanted no truck with after the "911" episode.
How is the word tea (which I enunciate quite distinctly..."I'll have a TEEEEEEE to take away, please.") anything like cappuccino or latte? Do the baristas think I am ignorant on the pronunciation of latte and mistakenly think I am requesting a la-TEE? Or that I am instead hankering for a flavorless cappuTEEno? I am at a loss. Or is the problem of Ireland's caffeinated beverages more deeply rooted than I first thought? Are tea and coffee the same thing to these people? Is that why neither is especially good? Do they try to put both in the same cup?
Again, words will be had with specific natives on this subject, but something had to be said.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment