Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day Abroad

People have been asking me if I'm going to stay up all night to watch the election results trickle in. My answer is an unequivocal no. And here's why. It's a strategy. I look at this as a potentially big Christmas. The kind of Christmas I had as a kid, dying for a particularly scrumptious gift, something that would make the big day REALLY worth it. But, to find out if the gift was going to be under the tree on Christmas morning I had to go to sleep. I certainly couldn't wait up for Santa/Dad; that would have been the nail in the Atari 2600.

SO, to get my election wish list fulfilled, I'm doing my part by conking out around midnight and awaking to what will hopefully be the biggest Christmas of all.

3 comments:

brad! said...

I got you a present, but I don't know how to wrap it.

Jenna said...

Is it Pong?

Elrond Hubbard said...

November 5 was like Christmas, and the night before like a Christmas Eve with its excitement. I had done several stints of canvassing voters, and I did a final one in the final hours of voting, literally running door to door in the rain, racing to make sure everyone on my list had voted, and knowing I would not finish the list. It was just hit or miss at the last minute, the final thrust in a long and very well-organized movement by Durham Democrats. In our county they had registered tens of thousands of new voters mostly as Democrats and repeatedly going door-to-door. And now look. NC is one of two closest states, and Obama may win by just 12,000 or so. It's not that he needed us . . . we're just here to rub it in!

And look at Virginia, where I attended all-white high-school, where I don't have to tell you Richmond is located with its state-supported statue of Robert E. Lee as the city centerpiece . . . look at all this!