Sunday, January 10, 2010

Snow

Dublin has donned an uncharacteristic mantle of white. In the parlance of my people, it's slicker than goose shit out there. The sidewalks are more akin to ice rinks and yet the roads look only as if a light rain has fallen. Cars are the favored mode of transport, pedestrians, well, a hearty 'be careful' to you and best of luck.

January is a tight month for us, financially speaking. Of course that's nothing unusual. Lots of people are in the same boat. My reaction to belt tightening has been to spend a goodly amount of my last paycheck on cds...the sales are so good right now! The bf gave me a devastating eye roll, but then again, he gets to go to the pub once a week, so I get my cds. Besides, if I didn't get my hands on some Harry Belafonte and some Maynard Ferguson, I was simply going to die. No doubt you know how that goes.

But I have finally come to the decision that all this shelling out for cds is not only costly, but unwieldy. Lugging cds to and fro between work and home is too much. Having received an iPod shuffle as a Christmas gift in 2008, I've finally broken the packaging and have it charging now. I've done all the downloading and am now ready to join my contemporaries in sprouting earbuds and ignoring all incidental street sounds because I'm too busy enjoying the soundtrack to my life.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Also, you don;t need to buy CDs anymore now there's Spotify. Listen to whatever you want whenever you want for free: www.spotify.com

You better get listening to some hip-hop for Tuesday